Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Family Movie Night: Monsters Vs. Aliens

Monsters vs. Aliens.  Menu: Monstermallows, popcorn, Shirley Temples

Our latest Family Movie Night featured last year's popular Dreamworks hit, Monsters Vs. Aliens.  In our house, we just love Monsters, Inc.  So, when searching for the "perfect" film for our movie night last weekend, this film immediately came to mind.  I had heard of it when it was in the theater but since we never get to the actual movie theater, I noted that I wanted to rent it when it was released on DVD.  It did not disappoint!  Monsters vs. Aliens was adorable, funny, entertaining for adults and the children, and just an overall good flick.  Everyone in our family had his/her favorite monster by the middle of the movie and, like Monsters, Inc., each character was so cleverly created and developed.  I would highly, highly recommend it to anyone, adult and/or family with children.  What a fun night!

As has become our usual recent trend, I sometimes pick movies for our Family Movie Nights based on the fun treat idea I can come up with to make for our family to enjoy during our screentime.  Other times, I wrack my brain trying to come up with a fun treat to go along with the theme of a movie on which we decide.  This time, I knew I wanted us to see this movie and then I immediately recalled a fun treat that would be perfect, both theme-wise and the fact that the kids could help create them:  MONSTERMALLOWS!

Ta-da!  Introducing monstermallows....in other words, a chocolate covered marshmallow decorated to look like fun, friendly monsters.  These are actually quite simple to make:

Melt chocolate chips and/or candy melts in the microwave or over a double boiler.  Dip the lollipop stick in the chocolate or candy melt, insert into the pop, and then dip the whole pop into the mixture to coat.  When still wet, decorate with assorted candies, presing lightly into the coating.  I like to prop my pops up in the grids of my cooling rack so that the chcolate doesn't get flat on one side as it dries off. 

Introducing our own creations...

1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea with the cooling rack! I would have never thought to do that! Such a creative idea, plus the monstermallow's are way too cute. They will be a good Halloween treat too. :)

    ReplyDelete