Thursday, November 18, 2010

Coffee: My New Lifeline

What happens to most in college, medical or law school or after they have had their first child and realize that four hours of sleep a night just doesn't cut it day-in and day-out, only recently happened to me: coffee.  I have always enjoyed coffee on an occasional basis, don't get me wrong.  But, I always was more known as a tea drinker.  When I was looking for that soothing, hot drink to relax or warm me up, I always broke out the PG Tips or Twinings.  Until now. 

Well, let me defend my first love and say that sometimes I still just need to have a good cup of black tea.  Other times I have a craving for a chamomile or another form of herbal tea.  But lately, I have been migrating towards "the other caffeinated drink" and just can't explain what has happened.  It may have something to do with the plethora of yummy flavored creamers out on the market (ummm...have you tried the Caramel Macchiato one yet?) or the Keurig personal coffee brewer I got for Christmas last year or even something called Wawa convenience stores, which has, in my opinion, one of the best cups of coffee out there at convenience store prices.  Quite honestly, I don't know what the impetus for this new love of mine is, but I am coming clean and saying that it can no longer be ignored or denied:  I am a coffee drinker.

To get the facts straight, I am not yet what I would consider an addict.  I'm not shaking when I wake up in the morning, only to be calmed by the beep of my programmable Cuisinart coffee maker indicating that the brew is complete.  I don't have to start every day with a "cup 'o Joe" nor do I even have to have a cup of coffee at all throughout the day to function.  In fact, I typically don't have one every day and my habits are quite sporadic: some days I will have more than one cup and then I may go a few days without this "need" for coffee.  In fact, dare I say, that I may actually have tea some mornings instead (gasp!).  But, what has changed in me is that I do have that feeling of calm come over me now when I sit down and make a cup of coffee.  I also do have that yearning for nothing other than a big mug of coffee some afternoons when my kids nap.  I no longer forget to make coffee at a party I am throwing, even though I have remembered every other detail.  And I must admit that sometimes I'll reach for a K-cup when I am having a bout of tiredness and know that I do not want to be asleep by 8pm.  So add all of this up and I'll be the first to admit that I now consider myself a part of the Latte Club.

It's a joke in my family that in a year, I went from someone who had every appliance out there but was still using an old 10-cup Gevalia coffee brewer that I brought to college with me (and hardly ever used!), to someone who now has a Keurig, a K-cup carousel, a nice Cuisinart brewer, and a Cuisinart coffee grinder on my coutertop.  That's right, only the most frequently used appliances make it to "the big time" of being stored on the countertop instead of in the cabinets or pantry.  I am happy to report that my coffee accoutrements have "made it" and have joined my Kitchen Aid mixer, food processor and my toaster oven on my counter.  They were even purchased in black and stainless to match our decor.  To boot, there are also a handful of flavored creamers in my fridge at all times.  This is getting strange.  Nonetheless, in the short time that I have been a sleep-deprived, coffee drinking, mother of three, I have a few thoughts on coffee that I thought I'd share.  I already gave my disclaimer that I am not a coffee connoisseur but I do know what I have enjoyed in my experimentation, so if it's helpful to anyone out there, then I've done my part in building up the Latte Club.  Enjoy!

1. Myth:  I can't enjoy coffee because nobody else in my house drinks it and I don't like instant coffee.  I'm not going to make a pot for myself.

Well, your answer to this one is either a single-cup coffee brewer, a French press or a Keurig personal coffee maker.  I personally can recommend either a French press such as the one below, that will easily allow you to brew a small amount of coffee for yourself and it will be the freshest you can make, or the Keurig, which offers so much convenience and variety.  There are K-cups for the Keurig available in so many different styles, flavors and brands.  Amazon, Costco or Kohl's are great places to buy your K-cups for a good price (I use my Kohl's cash as a little gift for myself sometimes). My favorites are Timothy's Italian blend and Gloria Jean's Butter Toffee.  Hello?  Did that not just convince you or what?





2. I am looking for a good, reasonably-priced coffee maker.  Which features do you like the best?



The above is the maker I have and really like.  What's irking me is that I bought it last year for about $40 more than the list price now!  So this would be a great deal for you.  It brews a good cup of coffee and I just love the auto-off beep (since I never remember to turn it off) and the programmable feature.  We host our weekly Bible study and also other events so it's nice to set up the coffee and find it already brewing when I finish putting the kids to bed and head downstairs to wait for my guests.

3. I have never tried to grind my own coffee.  The coffee from the store is just as fresh.



This, again, is another item that I paid a lot more for last year when it was newly on the market so it would be a great deal for you.  I recently got into grinding my own coffee, especially when we have company over, and it is so yummy.  It's a lot fresher than the pre-ground and is so easy.  I think of it as a special treat when we have guests, especially, or even just for myself sometimes.  This grinder is sleek looking and has an option to automatically grind enough for a certain number of cups in the maker.  Very fast and reliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment