Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blasted Little Triangles!

So, I finally caved in the other night while I was at the supermarket to pick up some salad and whipped cream for my husband's birthday dinner.  I had my two purchases and had intentionally not taken a basket for the sole purpose of exiting the store with only those items for which I had made the special trip.  But, as I was rounding the corner to the check-out, Romaine in one hand and Cool Whip in the other, I saw them staring at me from the endcap.  Their little white tips and brightly colored stripes.  Those blasted little triangles that always seem so juvenile, a little too sweet, but irresistable nonetheless.  You guessed it- candy corn.  And they were just beckoning me to walk over and buy them.  I mean it's practically October so date-wise I supoose I wasn't being entirely absurd.  And I couldn't come home with just salad, right? (How quickly I am forgetting about the Cool Whip, as if to brainwash myself into thinking that there are no other sweets in my near future...)  The kids would like them.  Yes, we need them for some upcoming fall baking and I wasn't able to find them after Halloween last year.  Must. Buy. Now.

And how convenient that they were located so close to the register anyways, right?  Must be destiny.

So, I scrutinized the bags - these were the pre-packaged bulk food variety from Landis, not a commercial brand - and found a reasonably priced bag.  And lo and behold I purchased my first fall candy of the season.

So, what does one do with candy corn, other than grab a few out of the candy dish everytime you pass by?  Uh, really, there's another use than that?

I have a few ideas that we have done in the past or will likely be trying this year.  Happy eatin' and trick-or-treatin'! :)

Candy Corn Bark
I like to give credit where credit is due so this originally came from The Recipe Girl.  We in the Martin household like to bake.  And often.  However, with three young children whose interest in the activity usually lasts about as long as it takes to preheat the oven, we like some fast, fun recipes together....and then some not fast, but still fun, recipes for Mommy to do alone over naptime :)

So candy bark is a favorite here. Peppermint Bark.  Jelly Bean Bark.  Ah-ha, you say - Candy Corn Bark!  I do believe we are on to something here...Oreos, pretzels, white chcolate and candy corn make for a very bright and cheery special treat to celebrate the Halloween season. 

Ingredients - Oreo cookies, Candy corn, Pretzels, White chocolate wafers, Orange and brown jimmies

1. Break Oreos and pretzels into bite-size pieces and lay on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet with the candy corn.


 2. Melt white chocolate wafers; they will melt much better than white chocolate chips but you can use chips and just add a teaspoon of Crisco to thin it out.  Pour over the top.


3. Sprinkle with jimmies and chill until set.  You should be able to pick up the entire thing at once without it breaking, if it has chilled long enough. 

4. Break into individual pieces and enjoy!

Turkey Cookies
These are so cute that I just want to -gobble, gobble - them all up!  My boys and I made these last year for the first time and they were a tremendous hit, both to decorate and to eat.  They are incredibly easy and just adorable.  Way cuter than the big brown turkey you'll be eating on Thanksgiving.


Ingredients-
Favorite round sugar cookies, either homamde, slice 'n bake or purchased.
Candy corn
Mini M&Ms
Orange decorating icing
Melted chocolate chips

1. When cookies are cool, melt chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals.
2. To decorate turkey - spread enough chocolate at the top of the cookie to hold 6-7 candy corns as shown; place 2 dots of chocolate for the eyes and stick mini M&Ms on; use another dot of chocolate for eye pupils; use the orange icing to draw feet and a beak, as shown.
3. Let dry completely and enjoy!

Candy Corn Decorating
Candy corn is so thick and dense that it is also a good candidate for dressing up the house for Halloween.  If you have any you can spare, that is.  I know we do not do anything scary for Halloween in our house, partly because of the kids being so young and mainly because I just find gory Halloween decor just, well, creepy.  There's just something about a bloodshot eyeball floating in a vase that doesn't quite scream "decorative" to me :).  But, to me, candy corn are an adorable way of bringing some Halloween festivity to your home without the gore or the cost of buying pre-made tchotchkes.

1. (Simplest) Fill up some different glass jars with candy corn and place around for decoration or as centerpieces for a party.

2. (Simpler) Stick simgle pieces of candy corn onto floral wire and place into flower arrangements or centerpieces to liven them up for the season.  The candy corn "pumpkins" would also work for this.  Add a Halloween colored ribbon and you now have a Halloween-themed centerpiece.

3. (Simple)  Make a candy corn wreath.  Originally from kidswonderart.com.

ingredients -
10 inch foam wreath
3-4 bags of candy corn
Hot glue gun
Toothpicks
Halloween foamies (optional)
Mod Podge or spray sealer

#1. Make sure all of the candy corn are basically the same size.


#2. Dab a bit of hot glue to the styrofoam and place one piece of candy corn on it. Continue the process placing each piece of candy corn in opposite directions.  Try to work in straight rows covering the entire form. You can make a second layer which will cover any spaces. You'll need to be careful moving the wreath.

#3. For the finishing take the wreath outdoors and spray the wreath with a sealer. Leave outside until dry. This will also help to keep the candy corn stabilized on the form.

#4. Attach the Halloween foamie shapes to a toothpick and place them at random into the wreath. Then add the ribbon. This is optional.  Your wreath is ready to be displayed indoors

1 comment:

  1. What cute ideas! A bag happened to land in our cart last night too :)

    ReplyDelete