Friday, September 17, 2010

Purge Your Purse

I don't know about you, but as a mom of three who has basically traded in my designer purse for a diaper bag over the past 4.5 years, I am always looking for ways to streamline what I carry on a day-to-day basis.  However, I still want to carry enough mommy essentials so that I do not have to resort to using that unopened sample of Vaseline from after my son's circumcision as a makeshift lipstick when in a pinch.  So, I have looked around and developed a list of some of my favorite "Me Items," ones that I always have when I need a little Mommy pick-me-up.

One of my biggest tips is to use a little makeup bag or clutch purse to store your essentials.  You can place it inside of your diaper bag or purse without having to mull over what you want to bring each time you pack it and you can easily switch it between the two.  It's enough work to figure out what to bring for all of the kids that I don't need to utilize my (limited) brain resources for this, too.   I will often carry my "Me" bag all day long in my diaper bag when I'm out with the kids and then just switch it to a purse when I go to a Mom's Night Out with some friends.  Plus, it keeps everything in the same spot, making it easy to locate and protecting it from being covered in milk from leaking sippy cups.  And when it's time to go, whether with the kids or by yourself, grab your wallet, phone, and this clutch and the process of getting out the door in the morning becomes much more efficient and definitely shorter.

So, what's in a bag?  Here are my essentials that have helped me to purge my purse of unnecessary products, while still enabling me to carry some "Me" items, guilt and hassle-free.

A Travel Toothbrush holder.  This will hold two tampons for those urgent circumstances.

A package of gum or breath mints.  Sometimes having a big girl treat :) that freshens your breath in the meantime, makes the fact that you just ate lunch at McDonald's so that the kids could play on the Playland afterwards, just a bit more palpable.

Stila Convetible Eye Color.  I could go days without makeup but I know that I need to wear eye liner if I do not want to look tired throughout the day.  So, this is my favorite makeup item.  It contains a smooth eye liner, a smudger and an eye shadow all in one.  The middle of the pencil unscrews to reveal the coordinating eye shadow.  It's great for a quick refresher in the bathroom while Dad watches the kids fight over the free crayons and kids menu coloring pages at your restaurant table.



Travel Brush and Mirror.  I love this pop up brush with a compact mirror on the inside.  It's small and will fit just about anyplace.  God knows I have used this on many occasions after taking the kids on fun, outdoor playgroup activities when it is windy out, which resulted in my hair resembling some sort of bird's nest.


Bare Escentuals Quick Stick.  This is another lipstick alternative that is so perfect for everyday.  It is a pencil so it stays on for a long time and easily winds up when needed.   I love the deep casual colors and the fact that it is not greasy or fragrant so you still feel like you are not wearing any lipstick.  Plus, it will not come off the minute you kiss one of your little ones, either.




Oil Blotting Papers.  One such as the Clinique item below is something that is good to keep in your purse for those times when you find yourself sweaty and shiny from all of the energy you exerted at the park with Jimmy or at the Mommy and Me class with Susie.  Trust me, you will feel 100% less in need of an immediate shower if you run one of these over your face.

1 comment:

  1. For those of you over 40-ish...Avon's Thermafirm.....can't live without it.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete