Saturday, September 18, 2010

Classic Wooden Toys


Some women have a thing for chocolate.  Or shoes.  Or purses. I have a thing for classic wooden toys.  Ok, let's be honest here and say that I have a thing for chocolate, shoes and purses, too :).  But seriously, I find myself drawn to displays or catalogs of adorable wooden toys.  I don't know if watching Little House on the Prairie most days during my childhood or the fact that, in general, I love vintage items, has anything to do with this fettish.  But whatever reason, I just can't get enough of them.  They just seem so classic, so sturdy, and I can picture my own grandchildren using them when they visit in another 30 years. I envision myself selling all of the modern toys we have when my kids outgrow them, but packing our wooden ones away in our attic as a reminder of these sweet innocent years in my babies' lives.  To me, nothing even compares.

With the holidays quickly approaching, I decided that I am going to do some additional posts with product recommendations, things we've used in the Martin household and have been able to compare to other items.  I've only been a mom for 4.5 years, but with the number of toys that have entered and exited this house, I feel that I definitely have some thoughts on some favorites that I would recommend to a friend if she asked me for ideas.

So, for the next few minutes, forget about flashing, talking plastic toys and put yourself back to a simpler time when toys were wooden and children were content to use their imaginations to play with them for hours at a time.  I love that several modern companies apparently share my fettish for wooden toys and market such a vast array of items with this classic feel.  Yes, these items are probably a little more expensive than their counterparts, but trust me, they will last a lot longer and are a lot sturdier.  So, to give my favorite companies some recognition, I have recommended a few favorites from each.  I hope this will touch your heart and help with your holiday shopping this year.

Parents/Battatt
Parents magazine has teamed up with Battatt to offer some really classic toys for kids.  Not all of them are wooden, but I must admit that I even love those since they are really classic and well-made, even if not wooden.  Since this is a post on wooden toys, though, below are a few favorites of ours in this genre.

Around the Block Wagon.  (4 months +)  I'd highly recommend this product.  It works as a very sturdy walker to prop a young baby at when he/she is learning to walk.  It will not topple over or collapse on them when they pull up on their own, as some less sturdy models will.  In addition, the 40 blocks inside the wagon are hours of fun for babies as young as four months old up until 4+ years.  My 4.5 year old still stacks these blocks and knocks them down with his trucks daily!



Busy Zoo Activity Center.  (6 months - 36 months)  Another fun, sturdy toy that has loads for Baby to do.  It's so sturdy that your little one who is not quite stable standing yet, can pull up onto this and it will not go anyplace.  So much to keep Baby occupied!


Raise The Roof Barnyard (3 years +) This barnyard is fun for multiple children to use at once. It has tons of animals and pens, troughs and other barnyard props to play with.  The best part is the working shoot, where they can send food pellets down the silo to the animals to feed them.  There are also working windows and doors. Plus, you can open the roof to allow more than just one or two children to be involved. And there are no batteries required which means the kids are responsible for all sounds and actions!




Haba
The Kringlering.  (3-18 months)This baby toy may look too simple to be enjoyable, but in actuality, I think that is why it's my baby's favorite.  Ever notice how babies will become attached to the simplest objects and leave their more "exciting" toys cast aside?  Well, babies like to hold, chew and shake things and this does all three without overstimulating the baby by singing, dancing or lighting up (imagine that).  It's hard, but pliable since it's made up of beads on a single sturdy string.  It shakes like a rattle without being overstimulating and it's bright and easy to hold.  Love the Kringlering!  Come on, I know you want to get one yourself just for it's uber cool name :).



Pushing Car.  (9 months+) I cannot say enough good things about this car.  It's expensive, yes, but is sturdier than most outdoor wagons.  This would be a great item to look for on Craig's List since it is lasting and that will help to bring the cost down.  It is a walker, a push car, a wagon, and is sturdy enough to carry a child in the front ( we know from much experience!).  Baby can use it for support as he makes his first steps, can be pushed in it himself, can tote his friend or his belongings in it, and more.  My 4.5 year old still has loads of fun filling this up with the help of his 2.5 year old brother.


Melissa and Doug
I don't even know where to start with Melissa and Doug, we have so many of their toys and just adore all of them.  All of their classic wooden puzzles are high on our list.  I would highly recommend them and remember that AC Moore and Michael's sell many Melissa and Doug products that you could buy with the 40%-50% off coupons in their weekly circulars.  Below are a few other, more unique Melissa and Doug toys that we love around here.  And from experience, I know that if you do ever have a problem with a Melissa and Doug toy, they will mail you a new one without even having to send the broken one back, no questions asked.  I actually called and complained about two products that were less than perfect, just because I had paid money for them so why shouldn't they be perfect?  They sent a new one right away and told me they didn't need the damaged one.  So, I did a patch job on the damaged one and have it at the grandparents' house for the kids to use there.  It has its flaws, but it's still mostly useable so it was a shame to throw it out. 

Geometric Stacker.  (9 months +) This is one of those toys that all kids who enter our house are drawn to.  I feel like I have just finished finding all of the pieces to it when - bam - it's taken apart again.  It's a great fine motor skill activity and I love that there are three different poles on which to stack the blocks, with the squares being more challenging than the other two. 



Froggie Face Rattle.  (3 months - 18 months)  baby will love this adorable froggie rattle and it also comes in a cute monkey version, too.  The eyes shake back and forth and the big handle make it easy to grasp and chew.  And come on, isn't this just the cutest?


Unit Block Sets. (2 years +).  Melissa and Doug has a full line of unit block sets that are as basic as you can get, but in my opinion, this makes them better.  They really encourage independent play and imagination, for even the youngest children.  They comes in big sturdy wooden containers with handles, for easy storage.  We have the Basic Unit Blocks, the Architectural Unit Blocks and the Deluxe Wooden Town Blocks.  They come out practically everyday at our house.Melissa and Doug Unit Block Sets


Radio Flyer
Town and Country Wagon. (ages 9 months +)  We love this wagon so much that we have not one, but two of them!  Yup, one for each boy in our family.  Actually, our original one was my husband's from the early 1980's, so yes, that makes it 30 years old and still alive and kicking.  It was in perfect condition structurally, just in need of a paint pick-me-up, so a few years ago I did this and - voila! - a "new" wagon for our first son.  When our second son came along, we saw how much our first son used this and knew that this wagon would last for years to come, so we asked for a second one for a birthday gift from his grandparents.  Now, each boy has his own, to use now and save for their own children later down the road. 

I must say that we prefer this wagon over others because of its rustic appeal.  Sure, it doesn't have individual seats and seatbelts like some of the others, but we love this about it.  We can fit three kids in this easily for a ride and it is also perfect for the boys to tote their belongings around in when they play outside.  The side panels come up for easy access and it's so sturdy.  I love watching each boy wheel his toys around to the other side of our property when they are playing together outside.  We even give our 10 month old baby a ride in the wagon by just placing a towel or blanket underneath her for some added comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment